The Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) hosts monthly webinars to provide information and facilitate discussion on a variety of topics related to psychological health and traumatic brain injury. The webinars are open to the public, and many provide continuing education. Past DCoE webinars can be viewed on the DCoE YouTube channel.
June 9, 2016; 1-2:30 p.m. (ET)
Service members and veterans that have sustained a mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) often experience persistent cognitive symptoms. These symptoms may be attributed to the mTBI or deployment-related complaints such as chronic pain, headaches, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, anxiety, sleep difficulties, substance use disorders, and life stressors following return from deployment. It is critical for service members, veterans, their families and health care providers to correctly identify the originating symptom etiology to successfully facilitate the recovery process.
This presentation will integrate available resources and expertise to advance best practices in the delivery of cognitive rehabilitation to service members and veterans with a history of mTBI and deployment-related symptoms (e.g., PTSD, anxiety, chronic pain). Through case examples and interactive discussion the speakers will address existing evidence and working group consensus which resulted in a collection of general principles of cognitive rehabilitation, strategies for assessment and treatment, and clinical tools to assist patients self-manage their cognitive challenges.
At the conclusion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Describe the scope and process of cognitive rehabilitation for service members and veterans with mTBI
- Identify and apply guiding principles of therapy for service members and veterans with mTBI
- Articulate available resources for providers of cognitive rehabilitation that are appropriate for service members and veterans with mTBI
- Douglas B. Cooper, Ph.D., ABPP-CN
- Research Director/Neuropsychologist
- Department of Neurology
- San Antonio Military Medical Center
- Contract support to Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center
- Fort Sam Houston, Texas
- Micaela Cornis-Pop, Ph.D.
- National Program Manager, Polytrauma System of Care
- Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Office of Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services
- Richmond VA Medical Center
- Richmond, Virginia
- Linda M. Picon, MCD, CCC-SLP
- VA Senior Consultant
- TBI Liaison to Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury
- Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services
- Veterans Health Administration
- Silver Spring, Maryland
Continuing education credit is available from Professional Education Services Group (PESG). You must register by 3 p.m. (ET) June 9, 2016, to qualify for the receipt of continuing education credit.
The awarding of continuing education credit is limited in scope to health care providers who actively provide psychological health and traumatic brain injury care to U.S. active-duty service members, reservists, National Guardsmen, military veterans and their families.
Sign up for the webinar. Please note registration is required for each webinar regardless if the participant has an existing PESG account.
Upon completion of registration, a confirmation email will be sent providing webinar event details.
Once registered, you may use Adobe Connect or Defense Collaboration Services to attend the webinar.
If you have questions or need assistance, please email the DCoE webinar team.
Resources: The resources listed on this Web page have been collected and prepared solely for the purpose of providing additional information on each month's webinar topic. The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Defense Department of these websites or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and morale, welfare and recreation sites, the Defense Department does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD website.
For questions, contact the webinar team.
To receive webinar announcements, sign up for email updates.
To provide feedback about last month’s DCoE webinar, please complete the Interactive Customer Evaluation form.