DCoE led the development of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Defense Department (DoD) management of opioid therapy for chronic pain clinical support tools to help providers comply with the “VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain.” These tools bring together important resources for health care providers and patients on the safe and effective use of opioid therapy in treating chronic pain.
The tools comprise:
- “Indications for Consultation and Referral during Opioid Therapy”
- “Managing Side Effects and Complications of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain”
- “Opioid Therapy and Methadone Use in Primary Care for Chronic Non-cancer Pain”
- “Tapering and Discontinuing Opioids”
- “Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Pocket Guide”
- “Taking Opioids Responsibly for Your Safety and the Safety of Others: Patient Information Guide on Long-term Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain”
To download electronic versions of the clinical practice guideline and clinical support tools, please visit the VA website.