The Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center (DVBIC), a DCoE center, offers providers a variety of clinical tools to help ensure the delivery of quality care in the treatment and rehabilitation of traumatic brain injury (TBI).
DVBIC develops clinical recommendations to help providers deliver evidence-based treatment to patients with mild TBI. Clinical recommendations are available on the following topics:
- Management of Sleep Disturbances Following Concussion/Mild TBI
- Progressive Return to Activity Following Acute Concussion/Mild TBI: Guidance for the Primary Care Manager in Deployed and Non-Deployed Settings
- Progressive Return to Activity Following Acute Concussion/Mild TBI: Guidance for the Rehabilitation Provider in Deployed and Non-Deployed Settings
- Neuroimaging Following Mild TBI in the Non-Deployed Setting
- Assessment and Management of Visual Dysfunction Associated with Mild TBI
- Assessment and Management of Dizziness Associated with Mild TBI
- Neuroendocrine Dysfunction Screening Post Mild TBI
- Indications and Conditions for In-Theater Post-Injury Neurocognitive Assessment Tool (NCAT) Testing
- PDF: Driving Following Traumatic Brain Injury [PDF: Summary]
- PDF: Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy for Traumatic Brain Injury [PDF: Fact Sheet]
Additional clinical tools to assist in the identification, treatment and management of mild TBI patients include:
- MACE: Military Acute Concussion Evaluation
- Concussion Management Algorithm
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Pocket Guide (CONUS)
TBI Case Management Resources
Military TBI case managers are an integral part of the care and support of service members with TBI and their family members. DVBIC provides the following resources and online tools to assist case managers and care coordinators:
- The TBI Recovery Support Program provides a nationwide network of recovery support specialists who offer support and resources for service members and veterans who have sustained a TBI and their family members and caregivers.
- Telehealth and Technology Web Resource Locator (TTWRL)
is a website that provides health care professionals quick access to military, Department of Veterans Affairs and community resources to support the discharge planning and ongoing care of service members, veterans and their families dealing with TBI and associated psychological health issues. A login and password are required to access resources.
- The “Military TBI Case Management Quarterly Newsletter” is for case managers and other providers who support service members with traumatic brain injury and their families. It provides them with the opportunity to share ideas, best practices and resources among the military TBI case management community.
- PDF: Fact Sheet Summarizing VA/DoD Evidence Based Clinical Practice Guidelines for Management of Concussion/Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
- PDF: TBI Task Force Report to the Surgeon General
- PDF: Report to Congress: Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy for Traumatic Brain Injury
- PDF: Report to Congress: Comparative Effectiveness of Neuroimaging Modalities on the Detection of Traumatic Brain Injury